Order for the Reorganization and Reform of Bastoy Prison
To the warden:
By decree of His Illustrious Grace, Duc Henri III, Jacques Olex, warden of Bastoy Prison, is required to implement the following reforms:
1. Dismiss half of the prison's guard staff
2. Forbid the use of corporal force against the inmates
3. Discontinue punishment by dark cells, limited rations and flogging
4. Permit the prisoners to possess private property
5. Allow prisoners to walk at will around the penitentiary grounds
6. Purchase, using the included funds, vittles of the finest quality, and hire a teacher to instruct in reading and writing and purchase any equipment necessary for said instruction.
His Illustrious Grace Duke Henri III believes these changes, based on models popular in the more civilized lands of the South, will result in a lowering of the rate of crime in all the Duchy, by showing young offenders a pathway to a new life.